.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, August 18, 2006

 

First Start in Burlington

Luke Hochevar made his first professional start with the Class-A Burlington Bees Wednesday, August 16. He looked good despite being limited to only two innings and 32 pitches. Hochevar struck out two, giving up no hits and the only blemishes on record were a wild pitch and an error by Mario Lisson.

Keep in mind that it was only Class-A ball so a dominating performance doesn't mean as much. But the best part about this start is his confidence and his chance to test out his pitches again in a game situation. As reported by the official Royals site, he said, "I was able to get into counts where I can use all my pitches. That was really the key, where I could sharpen all my pitches and get into that mode." The Kansas City Star also pulled a nice quote out of him that shows this confidence when he told them “When I step on the mound, I ask myself every time, ‘Am I prepared for this?’ I’ve never said no. It’s not nervous. It’s more like, ‘I finally get to prove this.’ ”

Hochevar is set to pitch again Monday against the Quad Cities Swing and will get a better chance to show his stuff with his pitch count bumped up to 50. It looks like the main goals during his Burlington stint are just to get his pitch count higher and work on developing his change-up.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?